latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Protect URL when viewing source

Home Forums Community Forum Protect URL when viewing source

This topic contains 13 replies, has 5 voices. Last updated by  bob mane 4 years, 7 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Sunday May 20th, 2012 at 7:30 pm #14035

Hi,

Can you also protect the url of video files so that it will not be visible when user view the source of the page but still the video will play on page?

Can you protect video url that is stored on external site file server?

Thanks

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Tuesday May 22nd, 2012 at 2:19 am #14160
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

Hello,

This article should answer your question: Knowledge Base » Hiding the Address of Protected Video Files

Posted: Tuesday May 22nd, 2012 at 7:19 pm #14198

Im confuse.

That is a method not related to this plugin right? or I am missing something?

Please explain.

Thanks

Posted: Wednesday May 23rd, 2012 at 12:03 am #14258
Raam Dev
Staff Member

Hello,

Hiding the URL of the video has to do with how the video is played. s2Member doesn’t play videos — you need another plugin to do that. We recommend the JW Player plugin for playing videos, so the example in that KB article explains how to make sure the video URL remains hidden using JW Player.

Posted: Wednesday May 23rd, 2012 at 3:54 am #14299

Yeah I get your point. What I don’t get is what it has to do with s2.

The way it was described in the article, I can hide my url without s2. So I don’t get where does s2 comes in to play in protecting the URL.

Thanks

Posted: Thursday May 24th, 2012 at 4:09 am #14421
Raam Dev
Staff Member

When referring to hiding the URL of the video, you are correct, it has nothing to do with s2Member.

If you’re referring to protecting access to the video file, then yes, s2Member would be responsible for doing that.

Posted: Thursday May 24th, 2012 at 4:52 am #14440

Hi,

you mean I need Amazon® S3/CloudFront integration to protect my file with s2?

I already have my own wowza server, I cannot use that?

Thanks

Posted: Thursday May 24th, 2012 at 5:25 am #14451
Raam Dev
Staff Member

Hello,

You can protect the files with s2Member if they’re hosted locally or with Amazon S3.

Current versions of s2Member are designed to support local protected storage options, and also protected storage at Amazon®, using the S3 and CloudFront APIs. s2Member is currently not integrated with any other 3rd party applications ( other than with Amazon ).

Posted: Thursday May 24th, 2012 at 5:40 am #14452

Thanks

I hope you will consider wowza dedicated media server in the future. There are wide audience in wowza

Posted: Wednesday May 30th, 2012 at 5:45 pm #14980

Yes, we’re considering it. I wrote down your request as a vote for it. :)

Posted: Saturday Jun 2nd, 2012 at 11:25 pm #15265
bob mane
Username: bobmane

any news on wowza? that would do it for me! (if not…what about AWS S3 with EC2 that uses AMS 4.5-5 …the wowza competitor)

by the way …wowza is also on AWS which might help you since you already have done AWS ports

Posted: Sunday Jun 3rd, 2012 at 12:10 am #15267
bob mane

from what I gathered, the only reason you cant do more with just S3 / CF is becasue Amazon purposely does not upgrade FMS past 3.5 on CF. So to do all the latest FMS stuff (now at FMS 4.5 – with 5 coming soon) you need AWS + EC2 which has newer version of Adobes Solution.

Now I love wowza, but I am not into paying monthly fees just for the fun of it, so its too bad AWS seems to be crippling CF to make people either get AWS / FMS or AWS / Wowza…thereby not only having to pay extra for wowza or FMS but also for EC2

but on to something possibly more useful? Is there any viability to actually using Apples HTTP Live Streaming instead of just disabling HTML5 and Download mode? (http://www.s2member.com/kb/hiding-the-address-of-protected-video-files/) I have been told (until JW updates) you would just have HTTP play in the native player on iOS. the only reason i mention it is becasue i see you are using some keys in mod-rewrite so thought it could somehow work there or elsewhere. yes, wowza can issue keys for HTTP but so can Zencoder

https://app.zencoder.com/docs/guides/encoding-settings/transmuxing-outputs-for-streaming
https://app.zencoder.com/docs/api/jobs/create
https://app.zencoder.com/docs/api/encoding/encryption

so you would use JW RTMPe for normal web and some detection to serve the alt iOS native player AES encrypted via HTTP

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by  bob mane.
Posted: Thursday Jun 7th, 2012 at 3:31 pm #15828
Staff Member
@Bob Mane
s2Member Profile updated with improved rank/icons.

but on to something possibly more useful? Is there any viability to actually using Apples HTTP Live Streaming instead of just disabling HTML5 and Download mode? (http://www.s2member.com/kb/hiding-the-address-of-protected-video-files/) I have been told (until JW updates) you would just have HTTP play in the native player on iOS. the only reason i mention it is becasue i see you are using some keys in mod-rewrite so thought it could somehow work there or elsewhere. yes, wowza can issue keys for HTTP but so can Zencoder

so you would use JW RTMPe for normal web and some detection to serve the alt iOS native player AES encrypted via HTTP

Right. I don’t see why not. While it’s not something that s2Member has built-in (i.e. s2Member does not perform any type of User-Agent detection), you could certainly apply some of this, and combine that with the code samples provided by s2Member, as they exist now.

For instance, you might use an RTMP stream for most cases, but make exceptions for iOS (perhaps lowering security just a bit), whereby you change the way the file is served, or from what source it is served from. I believe the Shortcodes and code samples provided by s2Member will make this possible for you (with a little customization on your part). Please let us know if you run into any issues, or have questions related to s2Member’s Shortcodes and/or API functionality.

Posted: Friday Jun 8th, 2012 at 2:46 am #15905
bob mane

OK many thanks for the feedback Jason. I am definitely looking into it.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.