latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Quick Cache Status [revisited]

Home Forums Community Forum Quick Cache Status [revisited]

Tagged: 

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices. Last updated by  extremecarver 3 years, 4 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Monday Sep 2nd, 2013 at 1:22 pm #58984

Hi Jason,

How the time flies when we’re having fun and making money.

6 months ago you said “I’m going to release an update pretty soon. The next major release of this plugin will also be coming very soon (i.e. within the next month or two).”

Is it “very soon” or “pretty soon” yet?… 8^)

Peace and abundance!

Terence.

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Sunday Sep 8th, 2013 at 11:44 am #59255
Joe S
Username: joes

Hello,

I am also wondering the same…

We are still using the plugin on all sites, but am concerned about the lack of updates w/ newer versions of WordPress. I am more than willing to support a paid version as well, just saying…

Jason responded last to my thread here with:

Jason (Lead Developer)
Username: Jason
Staff Member
Thanks for the heads up on this thread.

There have been no significant issues with the current release of Quick Cache, and since we’re hard at work on a new/improved version of Quick Cache, we’re not currently updating the existing release. If significant issues arise, you can be sure we’ll address them.

The new release of Quick Cache will also be provided at WordPress.org. There WILL be a free version of the next major release. No worries. You’ll be notified in your Dashboard automatically. We’re a little behind schedule, but we’ll get there soon.

Any Quick Cache updates would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much for this FREE plugin!!

Posted: Sunday Sep 8th, 2013 at 12:51 pm #59256

I just downloaded and installed the development version from here http://wordpress.org/plugins/quick-cache/developers/ and there certainly seems to be some differences.

Posted: Monday Sep 9th, 2013 at 6:52 am #59299
Tom
Username: halasyt

Yes, an update would be much needed, the plugin doesn’t delete old cached files, so they are just bloating the server.

Posted: Monday Sep 9th, 2013 at 7:32 am #59300
Anna
Username: annasus

I would like an answer to this as well.
I have been testing membership plugins on a naked site to decide which one to go with. While I like the way S2 member is set up, I find that it loads considerably slower.

When I test the speed in google page speed, it loads at 75 and the others at 85. IMO that’s a big difference when you consider additional plugins and images will affect speed as well.

Thanks so much.

P.S. I’m testing with the S2 member free version.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by  Anna.
  • This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by  Anna.
Posted: Monday Sep 9th, 2013 at 8:10 am #59304
Tom
Username: halasyt

The reason it loads so slowly is because there is a JS and CSS file being generated, which are really slow. Have a look at the list of resources loaded on your site, and you’ll see.
Lots of people have this problem, the only site that uses S2 where I haven’t seen this problem is actually this website, they got it loading fast somehow.
They aren’t using apache, rather litespeed server, that probably makes a difference.

Posted: Monday Sep 9th, 2013 at 11:42 am #59307

I’m using Nginx and cannot complain about speed so far concerning s2member and quickcache. Other caching plugins weren’t any faster….

I’m rather hoping the announced s2member big update comes soon. It’s always “coming soon” since over 18 month, some features that they promise for it, have been promised to appear over 2 years ago. Really important stuff like sending emails on account expiry are promised since very long and still no show….

However I do not know how to change to any other membership plugin, so I really hope s2member get their act together….

Posted: Monday Sep 9th, 2013 at 11:54 am #59308
Anna
Username: annasus

Thanks!

What does Nginx do? How much does it cost?
Is this what you’re talking about?
http://nginx.com/

Posted: Monday Sep 9th, 2013 at 12:00 pm #59310

quickcache replaces apache. I’m using it together with some other speedy stuff (just google nginx server setup (and your linux distro name) – I followed a tutorial that’s called something like: how to setup a perfect server – opensuse nginx…

I’m using qtranslate which really slows my site down (about factor 2-3) keep that in mind if you look at openmtbmap.org or velomap.org and assess the speed. Google logs my site at about average 0.8 seconds. I think that’s fine, knowing without qtranslate it would be well below 0.5 seconds. Building the cached page takes about 1.0 seconds. Mind I’m on an overpowered dedicated server with i7 and 8GB Ram (no SSD though – that would surely double speed again if you use SSD for operating system and all website stuff except big downloads).

Posted: Monday Sep 9th, 2013 at 3:58 pm #59320

“quickcache replaces apache.” ~ now I’ve heard it all.

Posted: Tuesday Sep 10th, 2013 at 1:11 am #59373

ups, that was of course a typo. Nginx replaces apache… (most people recommend to install apache nevertheless but don’t start it, because of some libraries – I think just for wordpress it works without apache at all however too).

Nginx is much more limited in functionality than Apache, just made for serving websites, hence it’s much faster and consumes less memory (well it always depends on the configuration, but by default or by sensible configuration it’s only about 1/5 I would say). Especially serving cached sites nginx is much faster.

That’s the tutorial I used more or less: http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-opensuse-12.1-x86_64-with-nginx-ispconfig-3
(didn’t install everything from it, cause no need for email server or whatsoever as I use google apps for business instead).

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.