latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

role loses access to Forums

Home Forums Community Forum role loses access to Forums

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Raam Dev 4 years, 6 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Wednesday Jun 27th, 2012 at 5:33 pm #17703
Terri
Username: tokyoterri

Hi Folks:

The site is here:

http://fewjapan.com/

After the latest S2Member upgrade, I lost access to the Forums, which are only available once a person is a member or Administator. I use User Role Editor, have checked it to make sure nothing has changed there, and all seems fine.

I looked again at the Page and URI restrictions (I’m using BuddyPress), and nothing seems to have changed.

Yet, when I’m logged in, I’m an Administrator, and I can’t access the Forums.

Is there something else i need to do to check and fix this?

thanks,

Terri

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Friday Jun 29th, 2012 at 2:07 am #17816
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

Hi Terri,

Here are a few things you can try:

* Remove the Page and URI restrictions, test again to confirm you have access, then add the Page and URI restrictions back in

* Deactivate the s2Member plugin (make sure you’ve enabled Deactivation Safeguards in Dashboard -› s2Member® -› General Options -› Deactivation Safeguards) and then reactivate the plugin

* If you’re using a caching plugin such as QuickCache or WP Super Cache, empty the cache

* Clear your web browser cache and cookies

If you’re manually making changes to the roles using a Role Editor Plugin, there are lots of different things that could go wrong there. As a last resort, I’d recommend resetting all the roles to their defaults and testing again.

Posted: Saturday Jun 30th, 2012 at 8:16 pm #17996
Terri
Username: tokyoterri

Hi Raam:

Thanks for your response. This is very time-consuming – design is not my full time job, and honestly, it would be best for me to find someone who knows how to fix the problem and hire them to do so. Do you have any suggestions, or does S2Member have a set of recommended devs for hire?

This isn’t the only issue I’ve run into – for example, intermittently, people lose their privileges. I asked the User Role Editor dev, he took me through a set of diagnostics and didn’t find a problem with his plugin, but I really am not a php developer, and didn’t think I needed to be one to use these plugins.

your advice appreciated.

thanks,
Terri

Posted: Tuesday Jul 3rd, 2012 at 3:46 am #18135
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

Hi Terri,

The User Role Editor plugin is designed to modify the default functionality of WordPress roles. By using that plugin and making such advanced changes, there will always be the risk that other plugins (which may work with the WordPress roles and therefore be affected by your changes there) will behave unexpectedly.

Privileges are determined by roles, so if you’re making changes to the roles using the Role Editor plugin, it’s hard to know if the problem is on the s2Member side or the Role Editor plugin side.

There are other reasons users could be losing privileges: If s2Member receives an IPN message from PayPal indicating their account should be demoted (because of failed payment, user-canceled subscription, etc.), then s2Member will handle their account as per your configuration in Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Options -› Automatic EOT Behavior.

To determine if this is what’s happening, I suggest enabling logging (Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Options -› Account Details -› Logging) and then, after you’ve noticed someone lose their privileges, look at the logs in plugins/s2member-logs/ to see if you can determine why they lost their privileges.

We don’t have a set of developers that we recommend for hire, but we do recommend posting a job on jobs.wordpress.net.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.