latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

S2 Pro atl to native Cart66 – or S2 Pro + oth

Home Forums Community Forum S2 Pro atl to native Cart66 – or S2 Pro + oth

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Raam Dev 4 years, 7 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Sunday Jun 3rd, 2012 at 12:00 am #15266
bob mane
Username: bobmane

hey guys

coming from magento land…need membership site / cart hybrid

it has been mentioned that using S2 Mem is better than what Cart66 offers out of the box. (some weird spreely service???)

it that’s the case, it would be great becasue i love the looks of S2 Pro …but can you please answer….

1) what theme is super clean and basic like magneto modern with few bugs for membership site?

2. specific to memberships…and question arose from reading this:

http://winkpress.com/membership-plugin/s2member/

good review, but didn’t point out a key limitation of s2member. The ‘levels’ of content protection are hierarchical. So, your each level you might create inherits the rights to all the levels below. You can’t have a scheme, such as protection by tag or category, where a given tag or category grants rights to one and only one level, and then a different tag or category grants rights to a different specific level.

so….for example….can S2 do this: user can add year membership to page a, monthly membership to page b, perpetual membership to post 1 (or an similar combination like that)

note: I am talking about non-concurrent , separate products/subscriptions so user a could belong to products (pages or posts) a , b , c, d all with separate access levels and expiry

in user account they see list of all products/subscriptions and each are unique and separate.

3. user, then, who bought i.e. year membership to page a, membership to post 1 … sees page a and post 1 but not page b?

4. when year membership to page a expires (unless user renews or has auto renew on) can not see page a but still sees post 1

is separate expiry for each access working?

is auto renew in PayPal actually working? (becasue even though PayPal owns magneto – it does not actually work in magneto )

is PayPal Pro (30 month) + PayPay Subscriptions Add on (30 month) required for non PayPay Express options

or is something other than PayPal required?

5. also, i am in the midst of building a VOD site and this is the reason i need membership + cart. securing videos is highly complex (wowza, fms, aws, HTTP…etc) and in order for it to be even moderately hardened requires alot of time and investment…

so how secure are actual pages in wp that are so commonly said to be “secure ” or “hidden”…i mean …companies spend tons of $$ securing vids and common tools sniff them out … what about with pages / posts?

if i wanted your content could i easily run a Google search and find out how to get to the “secure” posts / pages?

6. if somehow not well integrated into cart66 what is the ‘best” combo of S2 with cart????

7. do you know of any magento / wp integrations (there are several variations) that could use S2 in WP whilst wp and mage are hooked up?

• This topic was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by  bob mane.
  • This topic was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by  bob mane.

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Monday Jun 4th, 2012 at 8:30 am #15354
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

1) what theme is super clean and basic like magneto modern with few bugs for membership site?

I’m not familiar with Magneto, but most WordPress themes work with s2Member without any problems. You’ll need to find a theme you like and then try it.

2. specific to memberships…and question arose from reading this:

http://winkpress.com/membership-plugin/s2member/

good review, but didn’t point out a key limitation of s2member. The ‘levels’ of content protection are hierarchical. So, your each level you might create inherits the rights to all the levels below. You can’t have a scheme, such as protection by tag or category, where a given tag or category grants rights to one and only one level, and then a different tag or category grants rights to a different specific level.
so….for example….can S2 do this: user can add year membership to page a, monthly membership to page b, perpetual membership to post 1 (or an similar combination like that)

note: I am talking about non-concurrent , separate products/subscriptions so user a could belong to products (pages or posts) a , b , c, d all with separate access levels and expiry

in user account they see list of all products/subscriptions and each are unique and separate.

3. user, then, who bought i.e. year membership to page a, membership to post 1 … sees page a and post 1 but not page b?

To get around the cumulative effect of s2Member levels, we recommend using Custom Capabilities. You can use Custom Capabilities to pick and choose content that should belong to each member. Please see Video » s2Member (Custom Capabilities) for more information.

4. when year membership to page a expires (unless user renews or has auto renew on) can not see page a but still sees post 1

is separate expiry for each access working?

Expirations for memberships occur for the entire membership, not specific Custom Capabilities. If you want to sell something specific that expires, you’ll need to use the Buy Now buttons to sell specific pages. However, those cannot be combined with memberships at this time.

is auto renew in PayPal actually working? (becasue even though PayPal owns magneto – it does not actually work in magneto )

Yes, auto-renew is working.

is PayPal Pro (30 month) + PayPay Subscriptions Add on (30 month) required for non PayPay Express options

By non-PayPal Express options, I assume you mean accepting credit cards on-site? If so, then no, you must use PayPal Pro to accept credit cards on-site with s2Member Pro. However, instead of using the PayPal payment gateway, you could use Authorize.net or ClickBank or any of the other supported gateways.

5. also, i am in the midst of building a VOD site and this is the reason i need membership + cart. securing videos is highly complex (wowza, fms, aws, HTTP…etc) and in order for it to be even moderately hardened requires alot of time and investment…

so how secure are actual pages in wp that are so commonly said to be “secure ” or “hidden”…i mean …companies spend tons of $$ securing vids and common tools sniff them out … what about with pages / posts?

if i wanted your content could i easily run a Google search and find out how to get to the “secure” posts / pages?

WordPress pages/posts protected with s2Member are secure and cannot be “sniffed out” using Google.

6. if somehow not well integrated into cart66 what is the ‘best” combo of S2 with cart????

7. do you know of any magento / wp integrations (there are several variations) that could use S2 in WP whilst wp and mage are hooked up?

I don’t know of any Magneto / s2Member integrations, however you may want to post a question in the community forum to see if anyone else there can point you in the right direction.

Posted: Monday Jun 4th, 2012 at 12:00 pm #15380
bob mane

If you want to sell something specific that expires, you’ll need to use the Buy Now buttons to sell specific pages.

which buttons: wp-admin/admin.php?page=ws-plugin–s2member-paypal-buttons

However, those cannot be combined with memberships at this time.

can user buy access to page x for one month and also page y for 6 months each with auto-renew (or not) even if its not called a membership? is there a way to do what I outlined in last and this post using any combination of any of your technology?

By non-PayPal Express options, I assume you mean accepting credit cards on-site? If so, then no, you must use PayPal Pro to accept credit cards on-site with s2Member Pro. However, instead of using the PayPal payment gateway, you could use Authorize.net or ClickBank or any of the other supported gateways.

yes I am talking about PayPal pro only. but question specific to…do you require PayPal Pro (30 month) + PayPay’s own Subscription Add on (additional 30 month) for Subscriptions / Memberships /recurring to work?

WordPress pages/posts protected with s2Member are secure and cannot be “sniffed out” using Google.

sorry i was not clear. what is the technical definition of hidden? are they just not shown or are they truly only compiled with proper access and therefore do not exist unless authorized by php

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by  bob mane.
  • This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by  bob mane.
Posted: Tuesday Jun 5th, 2012 at 8:00 am #15484
Raam Dev
Staff Member

which buttons: wp-admin/admin.php?page=ws-plugin–s2member-paypal-buttons

Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Buttons -› Capability (Buy Now) Buttons

can user buy access to page x for one month and also page y for 6 months each with auto-renew (or not) even if its not called a membership? is there a way to do what I outlined in last and this post using any combination of any of your technology?

There is no “auto-renew” with Buy Now transactions. Buy Now transactions are one-time purchases, however you can sell a one-time purchase that provides access for a length of time (e.g., $10 for 6 months of access). You can certainly sell as many one-time Buy Now transactions as you’d like, but none of those will be tied to a specific member account. Each would be an individual purchase.

yes I am talking about PayPal pro only. but question specific to…do you require PayPal Pro (30 month) + PayPay’s own Subscription Add on (additional 30 month) for Subscriptions / Memberships /recurring to work?

No, neither PayPal Pro nor the PayPal Pro Recurring package is required. You can create recurring subscriptions that use the free PayPal Express other payment gateways that support recurring subscriptions.

sorry i was not clear. what is the technical definition of hidden? are they just not shown or are they truly only compiled with proper access and therefore do not exist unless authorized by php

If a visitor does not have access to a protected piece of content (i.e., they’re not logged in with a valid account or they’re not accessing the content using a special link that they received after making a Buy Now purchase), then the content is not loaded or displayed at all. Instead, the visitor is redirected to the Membership Options page (Dashboard -› s2Member® -› General Options -› Membership Options Page).

Posted: Tuesday Jun 5th, 2012 at 1:22 pm #15551
bob mane

PayPal Pro nor the PayPal Pro Recurring package is required

good to know, i have PayPal Pro Recurring package turned on right now and have never even been able to figure our how to use it! but i use PayPal Pro in magneto for its stated value prop (users can stay on site + use credit cards) so what is the value of using it with S2

There is no “auto-renew” with Buy Now transactions. Buy Now transactions are one-time purchases, however you can sell a one-time purchase that provides access for a length of time (e.g., $10 for 6 months of access).

when i here Buy Now i think of the old PayPal buttons that you can make on PayPal.com, but you are talking about your own PayPal buttons i assume. what if using PayPal pro, does it get added to the button code?

You can certainly sell as many one-time Buy Now transactions as you’d like, but none of those will be tied to a specific member account. Each would be an individual purchase.

so user buys x for 1 month and y for 2 months >

user logs in with a single login? >

and sees x + y in an account? or just automatically has access to x and y via a url? if not an account, how does user know where x and y urls are? >

after one month expires , user logs and an can only see x?

Posted: Wednesday Jun 6th, 2012 at 3:22 am #15649
Raam Dev
Staff Member

good to know, i have PayPal Pro Recurring package turned on right now and have never even been able to figure our how to use it! but i use PayPal Pro in magneto for its stated value prop (users can stay on site + use credit cards) so what is the value of using it with S2

If you create a recurring subscription in s2Member using the Pro-Forms (Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Pro Forms -› Membership Level # Forms and you have PayPal Pro + Recurring package, then you’ll be able to accept credit cards on-site for those recurring subscriptions.

when i here Buy Now i think of the old PayPal buttons that you can make on PayPal.com, but you are talking about your own PayPal buttons i assume. what if using PayPal pro, does it get added to the button code?

Yes, s2Member can generate its own PayPal buttons that are designed to work in conjunction with s2Member. If you’re using PayPal Pro, you should be using the s2Member Pro-Forms (that’s the only way to accept credit cards on-site with s2Member).

so user buys x for 1 month and y for 2 months >

user logs in with a single login? >

and sees x + y in an account? or just automatically has access to x and y via a url? if not an account, how does user know where x and y urls are? >

after one month expires , user logs and an can only see x?

If the user buys access to a piece of content using a Specific Post/Page Buy Now button, no account is created (and logged in members cannot use those buttons). That feature is designed to sell access to a specific post/page on your WordPress site, where you might offer a video or download. After purchase, the user is emailed a special link that gives them access for the length of time you defined when you generated the Specific Post/Page Buy Now button.

Posted: Wednesday Jun 6th, 2012 at 8:18 am #15679
bob mane

i assume there are two ways to go then?

1) with PayPal Express

buttons for subscriptions or memberships
only way to sell subscriptions to pages unless paying PayPal an extra 60 a month

2) with PayPal Pro

forms
cc on site
memberships only if paying PayPal 30 a month
memberships and subscriptions only if paying PayPal an 30 + 30 a month
no buttons available unless buttons are Express

can you please point me to live sites or live demos that have each method so I can better understand it?

and in any case, S2member has:

no multi-purchases
no PayPal cart
no simple faux cart
no form that can list multiple items before checkout
no user account page of any kind

where are the PayPal forms in free S2?
where are the PayPal forms in Pro S2?

Posted: Thursday Jun 7th, 2012 at 5:29 am #15772
Raam Dev
Staff Member

can you please point me to live sites or live demos that have each method so I can better understand it?

You may want to take a look here. You might also find other sites by browsing through the Community Forum.

no multi-purchases

You can do multiple purchases using the Specific Post/Page Buy Now feature (Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Buttons -› Specific Post/Page (Buy Now) Buttons) and if you want to sell existing members additional features, you can do so using the Capability Buy Now feature (Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Buttons -› Capability (Buy Now) Buttons).

no PayPal cart
no simple faux cart

Yes, that is correct. The current version of s2Member does not have any shopping cart features. However, we’re looking into possibly adding better functionality in that regard with the next major release of the software.

no form that can list multiple items before checkout

There is no feature built into s2Member to generate such a list, no, but you can certainly modify the Pro-Form templates to your liking. See Pre Sale FAQs » Is it possible to modify s2Member® Pro Form templates?

no user account page of any kind

We do provide a shortcode for generating a Profile Editor form that allows members to update their profile information and change their password: Dashboard -› s2Member® -› General Options -› Member Profile Modifications

where are the PayPal forms in free S2?

There are no “forms” in the free version of s2Member. The free version allows you to create PayPal buttons that integrate with s2Member: Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Buttons

where are the PayPal forms in Pro S2?

Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Pro Forms

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.