latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Separate s2M install on a sub-domain?

Home Forums Community Forum Separate s2M install on a sub-domain?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Cristián Lávaque 4 years, 4 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Thursday Aug 16th, 2012 at 9:15 pm #22292
cassel
Username: cassel

I would rather ask the question before even trying in case it messes up what is currently working fine.
I have my Campus site and it is in English. I am considering having a French one, parallel to it and instead of having another domain, i would consider doing it on a sub-domain, like go with scrapbookcampus.com/fr

I dont think i can use the same s2M installation on it while directing people to a totally separate MC list (obviously, one list would be in French while the other is in English). So here are the questions:

1- can i have a single s2M installation direct to TWO totally different lists on MC? If so, great.
2- if not, can i install s2M completely from scratch on a /fr sub-domain?
3- would i need a fresh WP install on such a sub-domain to run another instance of s2M?

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Friday Aug 17th, 2012 at 8:42 am #22333

1- can i have a single s2M installation direct to TWO totally different lists on MC? If so, great.

By MC do you mean MailChimp? If so, yes, the integration is based on Levels, and each level can add the user to more than one list/group in MailChimp.

Yes. They’d be independent from each other.

3- would i need a fresh WP install on such a sub-domain to run another instance of s2M?

What do you mean? If it has to be a new WP installation or it can be an existing one? You can use s2Member regardless of WP being a new installation or not. Or did I misunderstand the question?

Posted: Friday Aug 17th, 2012 at 9:14 am #22343
cassel

By MC do you mean MailChimp? If so, yes, the integration is based on Levels, and each level can add the user to more than one list/group in MailChimp.

The problem i have is that i am not using levels, only 0 and 1 and tons of ccaps

Yes. They’d be independent from each other.

I guess that would allow to have completely separate mailing lists on MailChimp!

What do you mean? If it has to be a new WP installation or it can be an existing one? You can use s2Member regardless of WP being a new installation or not. Or did I misunderstand the question?

Well, since s2M is a plugin, i thought it would “apply” to all the pages of one WP installation, so if i want to install another instance of s2M, then i figured i would have to have it on a “different” WP install. Does it make sense?

Posted: Saturday Aug 18th, 2012 at 7:06 am #22425

The problem i have is that i am not using levels, only 0 and 1 and tons of ccaps

I imagine then that you’re adding the ccaps MailChimp merge fields, right?

I guess that would allow to have completely separate mailing lists on MailChimp!

Sure.

Well, since s2M is a plugin, i thought it would “apply” to all the pages of one WP installation, so if i want to install another instance of s2M, then i figured i would have to have it on a “different” WP install. Does it make sense?

Sorry, I’m still not sure I understand. :P

Posted: Saturday Aug 18th, 2012 at 9:48 am #22441
cassel

I imagine then that you’re adding the ccaps MailChimp merge fields, right?

Yes i do but i fill them manually. Is there a way have them added automatically?

Sorry, I’m still not sure I understand. :P

Maybe it is something i dont understand about WP myself. How can i install another instance of s2M on the same “site”? If i have a section under scrapbookcampus.com/fr how would i have a different s2M install?

Posted: Sunday Aug 19th, 2012 at 7:42 am #22483

Yes i do but i fill them manually. Is there a way have them added automatically?

Got it. Yeah, there is. This may help: http://www.s2member.com/forums/topic/s2member-mailchimp-and-ccaps/#post-17078

Maybe it is something i dont understand about WP myself. How can i install another instance of s2M on the same “site”? If i have a section under scrapbookcampus.com/fr how would i have a different s2M install?

Ah okay! Now I understood. :)

You can have several WP installations in the same site. It doesn’t have to be 1 site = 1 WP installation. You could have 20 directories or subdomains, all with their own WP installation. There’s also WP multisite, but since you’re just doing two installations, and one is already live, I’d just add the second installation.

A couple years ago I created a multilanguage site for a client, and my solution, since WP isn’t designed to handle multiple languages at the same time, was to create two directories (i.e. en, es), each with its own WP installation in the corresponding language. Then added the plugins, with their own translations where needed. And then added to the navigation the link to each language’s version of the site.

In the root I added a redirection to the default language. Since your root is the default language installation, you don’t need to worry about that redirection.

Does that help?

Posted: Sunday Aug 19th, 2012 at 7:52 am #22485
cassel

Yes it help. Thanks.

Posted: Monday Aug 20th, 2012 at 6:35 am #22526

Great. :)

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.