latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Temporary Upgrade of Level 0 to Level 1

Home Forums Community Forum Temporary Upgrade of Level 0 to Level 1

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Raam Dev 4 years, 9 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Monday Apr 2nd, 2012 at 3:03 am #9740
Donald01 Karr
Username: drkarr

I want to retain the short-form registration form for level 0 users. Without using PayPal Pro, and before going to the PayPal shopping cart, I want to provide access to a more comprehensive registration form by temporarily upgrading a level 0 user to level 1. I am using s2Member Pro. It seems that a short php script should be able to do this, but I have scoured the forums and haven’t been able to find anything that works for me.

The default username, firstname, lastname, and password are fine for the level 0 registration and that is working fine. Under the s2Member /wp-admin/admin.php?page=ws-plugin–s2member-gen-ops/ feature, I have added 10 additional fields that require levels 1,2,3, or 4 for access; however all 4 provide the same access so a temporary upgrade to level 1 will cover all the bases. Our small non-profit association cannot afford the fees for PayPal Pro so this approach should be a suitable work-around. I am asking for help with this or for a better suggestion to work the problem.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by  Donald01 Karr.

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Monday Apr 2nd, 2012 at 2:29 pm #9781
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

Hello,

Is there a reason why you don’t want to give free subscribers access to the custom registration form (by setting the level to “all” when creating the custom field)? If you’re going to give them access anyway by temporarily upgrading them to Level 1, it seems to me that it makes more sense to just give them access from the start. Am I missing something?

I cannot think of an easy way to override s2Member to temporarily give Level 1 access, and therefore access to the custom registration fields restricted to Level 1+.

Posted: Monday Apr 2nd, 2012 at 2:44 pm #9784
Donald01 Karr

Raam, thanks so much for your response. I have seen your comments in support of others on similar topics and was hoping that we might get together on this one. The reason for the difference is the added burden of the 10 custom fields that a lukewarm visitor might not want to fool with. If we can get him or her involved with the default registration, then we might be able to convert the individual to a paid membership.

Posted: Monday Apr 2nd, 2012 at 10:01 pm #9834
Raam Dev
Staff Member

Glad to help however I can! :)

Could you explain the process then for a new user registering? Would it look like this: User clicks on register link -> sees a page with four basic fields -> presses submit -> sees another form with the rest of the fields -> presses submit again -> goes to PayPal to checkout?

Posted: Monday Apr 2nd, 2012 at 11:58 pm #9846
Donald01 Karr

Raam, that’s pretty close, but let me fill in some details. After the user clicks on register link -> sees a page with four basic fields -> presses submit and is taken to our “Welcome to Our Members Area” to view a 90-second welcome video by our president. The user then surfs around the site with level 0 restrictions; e.g., can look at a list of forums and recent topics but cannot read actual forum topics or replies. Can view titles of recent blog posts and comments but cannot actively participate. Most pages are accessible, and hopefully enough interest will be elicited that the user will go to the “Membership Options” page and sign up for one of four paid levels. The levels are really only differences in the associated dues, and do not affect website access; all four levels (1,2,3 & 4) have identical rights. A PayPal button allows selection of the appropriate s2Member level and payment proceeds. The user then has access to levels 1+. We want to know more about an active member than a free subscriber, so the additional fields are provided for that purpose.

It would really be great if we can pull this off. I am sure that we would lose some lukewarm prospects if we demanded the full membership application up front. I really appreciate your effort on this. If you want to have a look at the site, here is the url:

http://nevadaaba.org

P.S.-If you want to follow the paid member pathway, you can go all the way to the PayPal “Your Shopping Cart” without triggering a payment.

Posted: Tuesday Apr 3rd, 2012 at 1:34 pm #9884
Raam Dev
Staff Member

It sounds like what you need is to show those extra Custom Registration fields when upgrading a free user to a paid Level. However, unfortunately custom registration fields are not displayed for logged in users. (Please see this thread from the lead developer on this issue.)

The only solution I can think of is to include those extra custom fields for Level 1+ and then point users to a page where they can edit their profile and fill in those extra fields (see Dashboard -› s2Member® -› General Options -› Member Profile Modifications).

With a little custom coding, you could even check to see if those extra fields have been filled out for all logged in users who belong to a non-free level, and then automatically redirect the user to the profile page, not allowing them to proceed until they’ve filled in the fields.

Custom coding like that would be outside the scope of our support policy (please see s2Member® » Support Policy » Outside Scope), but it wouldn’t be too difficult for a programmer familiar with WordPress to make such a customization.

Posted: Tuesday Apr 3rd, 2012 at 9:04 pm #10009
Donald01 Karr

Raam, can you suggest how I might contact a programmer to discuss this? I really appreciate your attention to this matter and your suggestions. Apparently, there are a significant number of other folks who have had similar issues, so this would be one to put in the hopper for future upgrades to S2Member.

Posted: Wednesday Apr 4th, 2012 at 2:42 pm #10054
Raam Dev
Staff Member

Hi Donald,

We are working on improving custom fields in the next major release of the plugin.

We recommend posting custom jobs on jobs.wordpress.net.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.