latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Videos not playing on I-Pad

Home Forums Community Forum Videos not playing on I-Pad

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  Ulrich Peise 4 years, 2 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Tuesday Oct 9th, 2012 at 4:58 pm #27930
Ulrich Peise
Username: tony72

Hello s2member Customer Support,

I fully integrated s2member pro and launched my digital product today. It was a learning curve, especially since I am not a techy. However, I must say that so far I am very pleased with the s2member pro plugin. When you take the time to read through the documentation and watch the tutorials, everything is logical and fairly easy to follow.

There is one little issue though: some of my test-users provided feedback that the videos (hosted on amazon s3 and streamed via the JW Player) are not working on their I-Pads. I realize that this is not the first time this issue was brought up here and I did read through the existing threads. However, it is still not clear to me what I need to do in order to get this resolved.

I would appreciate any kind of feedback that points me into the right direction.

Thanks a lot.

Ulrich.

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Wednesday Oct 10th, 2012 at 4:47 am #27962
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

To get things working on the iPad, you need to get the fallback options working.

If you’re having trouble configuring the videos for fallback, I suggest trying this shortcode plugin that another s2Member user created.

Posted: Wednesday Oct 10th, 2012 at 7:57 am #27982
Ulrich Peise

Thank you, Raam. I will try this and report back.

Ulrich

Posted: Thursday Oct 11th, 2012 at 7:38 pm #28178
Ulrich Peise

Raam, I installed Philly’s plugin and activated it. However, it is still not clear to me what I need to do now. Right now this is the code I use for all my videos:

<?php
// Configuration.
$s2_jw_config["jwplayer"] = "/jwplayer/"; // Relative URL path to JW Player files directory.
$s2_jw_config["mp4_video_file_name"] = "Beginners Course/Lesson 1, Welcome, Orientation, Ground Rules/lesson1.mp4"; // Name of your MP4 test file.
// Don't edit anything else below unless you know what you're doing.
?>

<div id="jw-container">JW Player® appears here.</div>
<script type="text/javascript" src="<?php echo $s2_jw_config["jwplayer"]; ?>jwplayer.js"></script>

<?php /* A direct URL to the RTMP source; counting the file against the current User in real-time. */
$cfg = array ("file_download" => $s2_jw_config["mp4_video_file_name"], "url_to_storage_source" => true, "count_against_user" => true); ?>

<?php /* API Function `s2member_file_download_url()` returns false if access is denied to the current User. */
if (($mp4 = s2member_file_download_url ($cfg, "get-streamer-array"))) { ?>

<script type="text/javascript">
        jwplayer("jw-container").setup({modes: /* JW Player®. */
        [
            /* First try real-time streaming with Flash® player. */
            {type: "flash", provider: "rtmp", src: "<?php echo $s2_jw_config["jwplayer"]; ?>player.swf",
                config: {streamer: "<?php echo $mp4["streamer"]; ?>", file: "<?php echo $mp4["file"]; ?>"}},

/* Else, try an HTML5 video tag. */
            {type: "html5", provider: "video",
                config: {file: "<?php echo $mp4["url"]; ?>"}},

/* Else, this is a safe fallback. */
            {type: "download", /* Download the file. */
                config: {file: "<?php echo $mp4["url"]; ?>"}}
        ],
        /* Set video dimensions. */ width: 660, height: 371
        });
    </script>

<?php } else /* Access is denied to the current User. */ { ?>
    Sorry, you do NOT have access to this file.
<?php } ?> 

What exactly do I need to do now from here to make the videos ‘play-able’ on I-Pads?

Thanks a lot for your help in advance.

Ulrich

Posted: Tuesday Oct 16th, 2012 at 11:30 am #28571

Hi Ulrich,

With the plugin installed you use a shortcode instead of what you have above.

The equivalent for the above as a shortcode would be

[s2video video="lesson1.mp4" html5="true" download="true" width="660" height="371"]

video=”the file relative to your bucket”

so if lesson1.mp4 is in a folder called lessons in your amazon bucket, then video= would be video=”lessons/lesson1.mp4″

setting html5 and download to true sets the fallback for ipads etc, this does not necessarily mean that they will play as the file type still has to be compatible.

Just to make sure your file is compatible try playing it on your ipad without protecting it with s2member, if you dont have any joy with the shortcode.

Let us know how you get along :)

Posted: Tuesday Oct 16th, 2012 at 6:49 pm #28601
Ulrich Peise

Hi Philly,

Thanks a lot for the answer. I deleted the old code and changed it to:

[s2video video=”Beginners Course/Lesson 14, F-Major Exercises/Lesson14.mp4″ html5=”true” download=”true” width=”660″ height=”390″]

The good news – it still works smoothly on regular PCs/Laptops, but still no luck on I-Pads.

However, when I try to access the file directly without the s2member protection, it works like a charm:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/guitaringenuity/Beginners+Course/Lesson+14%2C+F-Major+Exercises/Lesson14.mp4

I’m sure it’s something very obvious I’m doing wrong here, I just have no clue where to start looking.

Thanks. Ulrich.

Posted: Tuesday Oct 16th, 2012 at 7:01 pm #28606

Hmm,

It may not be an issue but the way your naming paths and directories is unusual, I’m not sure what effect commas and spaces have on what is being rendered.

Could you change your file structure to something like:

beginners-course/lesson-14-f-major-exercises/lesson14.mp4

and then update the shortcode accordingly.

See if that helps

Posted: Tuesday Oct 16th, 2012 at 9:10 pm #28619
Ulrich Peise

Philly, good point – I will try that tomorrow morning and report back. Thank you.

Posted: Saturday Oct 20th, 2012 at 8:25 am #29125
Ulrich Peise

Okay, I modified the shortcode to this for testing purposes:

[s2video video=”Chordbank/A7.mp4″ html5=”true” download=”true” width=”660″ height=”390″]

Same result. Works perfectly, except on I-Pads.

I wonder if there’s anything else I can try.

Thanks in advance.

Ulrich.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.