latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Coupon Code – Trial Period

Home Forums Community Forum Coupon Code – Trial Period

This topic contains 12 replies, has 5 voices. Last updated by  Jordan Mederich 4 years, 5 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Friday Jul 13th, 2012 at 3:30 pm #19187

Hoping this is an easy one… I’ve looked through lots of threads on the subject, but none specifically answer this question that I found.

I’m hoping to create a coupon code in pro forms that allows for a free 30 day trial, then $X.YZ per year recurring. If there is no coupon code, they are automatically charged right away without a trial.

I understand that the coupon code should be created appropriately, but the proform requires some modification that I’d love to get right the first time.

Thank you!

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Saturday Jul 14th, 2012 at 6:10 am #19230
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

Hi Jordan,

You can simply create a coupon code that discounts the checkout amount by 30 days.

So if your yearly subscription is $120/year ($10/mo), you’d create a coupon that reduces the first payment to $110. They will be charged the discounted amount the first year, then $120/year after that. The coupon that would create this is SAVE-10|10.00.

If you’re trying to create a coupon that postpones charging them for 30 days, that’s not currently possible. The only way to achieve that is to sign them up as a free user, then use Advanced PHP Conditionals (see Dashboard -› s2Member® -› API / Scripting -› Advanced PHP Conditionals) to check if they’ve been a free member for more than 30 days and if so show them a message asking them to upgrade to the paid membership (you’d present them with a Billing Modification form: Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Pro Forms -› Billing Modification Forms).

If you wanted to offer a voucher code that allows them access to the free registration form, please see Knowledge Base » Offering a Free Coupon Code (100% Discount).

Posted: Saturday Jul 14th, 2012 at 12:49 pm #19260

Hi Raam,

Thanks a ton for your response.

In the case that I discount (for our purposes) $5 off a yearly recurring subscription. If they use a coupon code, won’t they get that same discount when it renews? Or are coupon codes just a one time thing?

My model is entirely based on a yearly charges, so I would love if an initial discount is just a one time gig.

Thanks brother.

Posted: Sunday Jul 15th, 2012 at 7:15 am #19293

Hi Jordan.

If you apply the discount to the regular (recurring) amount, then it’ll be that way for all the coming payments, since that’s the regular amount the user is subscribed with. If you apply the discount to the initial amount only, then the regular (recurring) payments won’t have the discount.

What you can do, is have an initial term that’s as long as the regular ones. Then the first one can have a discount applied to it without affecting the recurring ones. If you do yearly payments, then make the initial term 1 year for the same amount as the regular 1 year terms. Then the coupon code would have ta-only (trial/initial amount only), e.g. [hilite code]5-OFF|5.00||ta-only[/hilite].

I hope that helps.

Posted: Monday Jul 16th, 2012 at 12:24 pm #19373
Dina
Username: codeshed

Hi Christian –

I have a question on this too… I have a yearly subscription of $97.00 and want to create a coupon that gives the user $25 off for the first year only and then back to normal amount.

if I have something like this Get25off |25.00|ta-only how would I change the short code up (or do I need to ) so the coupon only applied to the first year ( PS I also want the coupon expire after 3 months )

ta=”0″ tp=”0″ tt=”D” ra=”97.00″ rp=”1″ rt=”Y” rr=”1″ rra=”0″

Just change trial values to match regular values?

ta=”97.00″ tp=”1″ tt=”Y” ra=”97.00″ rp=”1″ rt=”Y” rr=”1″ rra=”0″

and then create a code like so?
Get25off |25.00|31/07/2012|ta-only

If I understand correctly the user would pay $72.00 for the first year and then $97 thereafter. What would happen with users that did not use the coupon – does the Trial period have any effect?

Posted: Tuesday Jul 17th, 2012 at 5:42 am #19462
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

Hi Dina,

Yes, that looks correct. Users who use that coupon will pay $72 for the first year and then $97 thereafter. Users who don’t use a coupon code would simply pay $97 for the first year and then $97 every year thereafter.

Also, I noticed that you appear to be using the date format of DD-MM-YYYY in the coupon expiration: The format should be MM-DD-YYYY.

Posted: Tuesday Jul 17th, 2012 at 2:35 pm #19546
Mike Waller
Username: seozones

Dina and Raam, I tried that same idea so that my users can apply a coupon to the first year but got this error: “these cannot be exactly the same as your “ra, rp, rt” attributes”

Any idea how to get around that?

Posted: Tuesday Jul 17th, 2012 at 2:37 pm #19548

Mike,

Those fields need to be different. They cannot be the same. So the way I got around it, was to change the trial time period to “12 months” instead of 1 year. Or you can make it 365 days.

Make your trial and regular amounts the same, but it fools the system by calling them different values.

Hope that makes sense.

Posted: Tuesday Jul 17th, 2012 at 2:42 pm #19549
Mike Waller

Okay, that worked. Thanks Jordan! Also, is it possible to change the verbage that gets displayed after user puts in the coupon code and applies it? Right now, it says “Coupon: $50.00 off. ( Now: $250.00 for 12 months, then $300.00 / yearly )” but I want it to say: “Coupon: $50.00 off. ( Now: $250.00 first year, then $300.00 / yearly )”

Is that possible?

Posted: Tuesday Jul 17th, 2012 at 2:44 pm #19550

I wonder the same question, and I’ve tried finding a way to fix that… As far as I know, it’s all preprogrammed.

The good news part is that they know EXACTLY what they’re getting, and the terms are very clearly explained. The average person would understand what’s happening, that’s a good thing.

Can I ask to see your site?

Posted: Tuesday Jul 17th, 2012 at 2:50 pm #19551
Mike Waller
Posted: Tuesday Jul 17th, 2012 at 3:07 pm #19554
Dina
Username: codeshed

Thanks Guys!

How does this look for a user that does not use the coupon in terms of paypal and the recurring payments?

Does it show up as a trial?

Posted: Tuesday Jul 17th, 2012 at 3:11 pm #19555

If you set it up this way, it will work as a full price trial. They won’t know the difference. It acts just like a real full price account without a coupon code.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.