latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

external website linking to protected

Home Forums Community Forum external website linking to protected

This topic contains 29 replies, has 4 voices. Last updated by  Mike (Volunteer Moderator) 3 years, 5 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Thursday Jul 18th, 2013 at 11:01 pm #53670
Julkie
Username: julienskinny

Hi,
Can anyone assist with the following:
If i link to a protected page via an external website i get a 404 error page and the member options page

Kind Regards
J

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Saturday Jul 20th, 2013 at 7:00 am #53712

Being redirected to the Membership Options Page is what would happen if you don’t have access to restricted content, but you shouldn’t be getting a 404. [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› General Options -› Membership Options Page[/hilite]

Does the page exist? Is the permalink okay? You can try resaving the permalinks setting. [hilite path]WP Admin -> Settings -> Permalinks[/hilite]

If that doesn’t help, try these, please: Knowledge Base » Common Troubleshooting Tips

Posted: Saturday Jul 20th, 2013 at 10:22 am #53732
Julkie

Hi Cristian, Yes the page exists, it only happens if i click to the protected page outside of the website, for example if i email the link to someone when they click it they are not redirected to the options page.

I have check everything you described and read everything i could find on this website but still 404 error

J

Posted: Sunday Jul 21st, 2013 at 7:10 am #53757

Could you send me the site’s info, including the link to the page with the problem so I take a look, please? s2Member® » Private Contact Form

Also, have you done these? Knowledge Base » Common Troubleshooting Tips

Posted: Sunday Jul 21st, 2013 at 8:36 am #53768
Julkie

~ AUTO-GENERATED NOTICE TO SUPPORT REPS

Action taken: I posted a private contact form and referenced this Topic.

Posted: Sunday Jul 21st, 2013 at 9:17 am #53778

Thanks, got the email. I could see the behavior you described.

It’s very strange, I’m not sure why it’s happening. Please do these: Knowledge Base » Common Troubleshooting Tips

Posted: Friday Jul 26th, 2013 at 3:22 am #54122
Julkie

Hi, is there any update to my issues, i have tried your requests but still having the same problem

J

Posted: Friday Jul 26th, 2013 at 7:54 am #54138

I tested removing the Level 1 restriction for the page with the problem, and then I could load it without getting a 404 when not logged in.

It most likely has to do with the redirection to the Membership Options Page, then. But I had checked, and I checked again, the page you selected for Membership Options and it opens fine even when I’m not logged in.

So I’m left thinking it may have to do with the vars in the redirection. See: [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› API / Scripting -› Membership Options Page Variables (MOP Vars)[/hilite]

Something is redirecting that to the 404 page, which by the way is a custom one and it’s address is /404-2/. Could you check with your developer what his 404 customization could be doing to the Membership Options Page redirection?

Maybe it’s something in .htaccess and I tried to see, but couldn’t login to the FTP with the credentials you sent.

Posted: Friday Jul 26th, 2013 at 7:57 am #54139
Julkie

Hi thanks for reply, there is no developer, the login i sent you does allow access via ftp, i will check out the .htaccess

Regards
j

Posted: Friday Jul 26th, 2013 at 7:58 am #54140
Julkie

this is in the .htaccess

# BEGIN s2Member GZIP exclusions

RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} (^|\?|&)s2member_file_download\=.+ [OR]
RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} (^|\?|&)no-gzip\=1
RewriteRule .* – [E=no-gzip:1]

# END s2Member GZIP exclusions

# BEGIN WordPress

RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^index\.php$ – [L]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /index.php [L]

# END WordPress

Posted: Friday Jul 26th, 2013 at 8:25 am #54144

I get “Response: 530 Login authentication failed” with the credentials you sent for the FTP.

Thanks for showing me the .htaccess. I don’t see something there related to this problem.

I thought you had a developer because of the plugins that seem custom to your site.

So when you said you tried what I requested, you meant having done all the steps in the troubleshooting article? Knowledge Base » Common Troubleshooting Tips Could you give me a link to the test installation of WP with just s2Member so I reproduce this problem there, please? Thanks!

Posted: Friday Jul 26th, 2013 at 9:14 am #54151
Julkie

~ AUTO-GENERATED NOTICE TO SUPPORT REPS

Posted: Tuesday Jul 30th, 2013 at 12:08 pm #54397
Julkie

~ AUTO-GENERATED NOTICE

Posted: Tuesday Jul 30th, 2013 at 12:10 pm #54398
Julkie

Hi, are you guys getting my private messages? because i am not getting a response from you and the error with s2member is still alive and kicking on my website

J

Posted: Wednesday Jul 31st, 2013 at 7:52 am #54472

Sorry, wasn’t around after the weekend until now. Thanks for your patience.

I got the emails, but the site is the same, with all the same plugins and theme. I still reviewed it again, and the log file you sent, but I couldn’t find the cause of the behavior you’re getting. And it’s the live site, so I can’t go testing for plugin or theme conflicts deactivating everything. As it is, I can’t tell what in your installation is causing it, but it seems quite certain that it’s not s2Member since you’re the only one getting this behavior out of all the site owners using it.

Please see my last reply above, I need to see a clean WP installation with just s2Member and have the error reproducible there to help debug this. This would not be your live site, but a separate installation of WP with just s2Member added, for the purpose of this test. s2Member® » Private Contact Form

I noticed that your error_log file is over 400 megabytes big, did you check it? I don’t have the bandwidth to get it myself right now.

Posted: Thursday Aug 1st, 2013 at 11:01 pm #54711
Reference to other thread while locked out due to max IPs.
http://www.s2member.com/forums/topic/i-have-been-locked-out-for-2-days/#post-54710
Posted: Thursday Aug 1st, 2013 at 11:07 pm #54713
Julkie

Hi, the site is not actually live as yet so you can test it. I emailed you the log files for s2member, did you receive them?

Also i have found the problem, it is the permalinks, the 404 error page stops appearing when i change the permalinks to default.

I tested all other plugins and all themes and the only solution is the permalinks. Is there a solution to this so i can return to custom permalinks?

I searched the net for this problem and it seems that it has happened to quite a few people who are using password protected proigrams

Regards,
J

Posted: Thursday Aug 1st, 2013 at 11:11 pm #54716

Please see my last reply above, I need to see a clean WP installation with just s2Member and have the error reproducible there to help debug this. This would not be your live site, but a separate installation of WP with just s2Member added, for the purpose of this test. s2Member® » Private Contact Form

Julie, the reason for his request is not just for a site we can test on, but also to be sure you’ve eliminated other possible issues. Please be sure to submit a “clean/test installation” of WordPress® with no other active plugins except s2Member®; and with a default WP theme. Once he receives that we can run diagnostics and make an effort to reproduce the bug you’re reporting. See also: s2Member® » Support Policy
Posted: Thursday Aug 1st, 2013 at 11:24 pm #54721
Julkie

Mike he states he needs a clean install with the same error reproduced. i tried it and the same error didn’t reproduce on a clean install. On a clean install of course it wont reproduce as there are no urls or content.

Do i send the login details for the clean install with no problems in it ?..

J

Posted: Thursday Aug 1st, 2013 at 11:30 pm #54723

Mike he states he needs a clean install with the same error reproduced. i tried it and the same error didn’t reproduce on a clean install. On a clean install of course it wont reproduce as there are no urls or content.

Do i send the login details for the clean install with no problems in it ?..

J

No, that’s not necessary. What he’ll need is an installation of WordPress® running only s2Member® and a default theme, but with just enough test content that you’ve prepared to reproduce the issue. This will allow us to reproduce the issue where it has been isolated to s2Member® as the underlying cause, and in your environment where problems are being experienced (e.g. on your server).

Posted: Thursday Aug 1st, 2013 at 11:33 pm #54724
Julkie

can we not use the main site?

Regards,
Evan

Posted: Thursday Aug 1st, 2013 at 11:37 pm #54726
If by “main site” you mean the site which contains other plugins, no.
Posted: Thursday Aug 1st, 2013 at 11:41 pm #54728
Julkie

Sorry im a bit confused, am i expected to create this test install and start adding content until the error appears? This is all getting a bit too hard for this plugin, I have already spent days trying to narrow down the problem to permalinks, unfortunately i don’t have the time to start adding content to a test site.

The problem is in the permalinks, i have emailed log files

J

Posted: Friday Aug 2nd, 2013 at 12:02 am #54732

Sorry im a bit confused, am i expected to create this test install and start adding content until the error appears? This is all getting a bit too hard for this plugin, I have already spent days trying to narrow down the problem to permalinks, unfortunately i don’t have the time to start adding content to a test site.

So the problem is permalinks as I understand it.
Is it not possible to setup permalinks in a test environment and reproduce this problem?
Can you please clarify what you mean by permalinks being the problem? Is this related to a specific permalink configuration in WordPress? What can we do to reproduce this from our end?

Posted: Friday Aug 2nd, 2013 at 12:52 am #54733
Julkie

Hi i just tried it on test site and issue reproduced, i will send details to private contact

Posted: Friday Aug 2nd, 2013 at 1:16 am #54736
Staff Member

Details received. Thank you!

I investigated this installation and find the problem to be the following.

This Page is not yet published; it is only scheduled to be published. Thus, a 404 error would occur as it does not exist yet. Also, please understand that a protected post being linked to from another site (if a user is not currently logged into your site) will always result in a redirection to the Membership Options Page, as it should; because the user has no access to this (e.g. the content is protected from public view).

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.