latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Failed paypal payments and EOT

Home Forums Community Forum Failed paypal payments and EOT

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  Bruce 3 years, 7 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Thursday May 2nd, 2013 at 11:54 am #49022
LG
Username: lg

Hello,
We’ve been using s2Member’s recurring payments via Paypal for a couple of months. The recurring payments are on a monthly basis. However I recieve a notice saying the following from paypal.

“Dear XXXX,

We’ve sent your customer an email asking them to make sure their payment information is correct.

If you have any questions, call us toll-free at 1-888-221-1161

The automatic payment from YYY YYY has failed 1 times. As a result, we will not try to process this automatic payment again. You should contact your buyer to collect the outstanding balance.”

I want to know my member’s experience will be. According to the following forum post

“This is a PayPal thing. s2Member regards these skips as a failed payment, and will eventually (by default, after 2 failed payments) perform a downgrade based on your Auto EOT settings.”

https://www.s2member.com/forums/topic/paypal-can-not-process-recurring-payments/

The problem is that when recurring paypal payment fails, paypal will not try to process the payment and s2Member down grades after two failures. Does this mean that my users will go 2 months without paying before s2Member down grades them?

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Thursday May 2nd, 2013 at 7:15 pm #49066
Bruce
Username: Bruce
Staff Member

The problem is that when recurring paypal payment fails, paypal will not try to process the payment and s2Member down grades after two failures. Does this mean that my users will go 2 months without paying before s2Member down grades them?

This really depends on what PayPal sends s2Member, and what you have set up in your rra attribute of your Pro Forms/Buttons. It sounds to me like PayPal stopped the recurring billing completely, and should’ve sent s2Member a cancellation notice. If not, I’d recommend contacting PayPal. I’ve never seen this message exactly.

Posted: Tuesday May 7th, 2013 at 3:16 am #49356
LG

I was checking

this topic – http://www.s2member.com/forums/topic/recurring-payments/ where Jason said in last

This depends upon your EOT Behavior, and also on the number of failed payments that you allow. If you only allow a single failed payment, an EOT will occur. If you allow more than a single failed payment, nothing will happen in the first failed payment. If it fails enough times, it will eventually trigger an EOT.

I didn’t find any area in s2 member where i can set ” failed payments “.

Please explain

Posted: Tuesday May 7th, 2013 at 3:42 pm #49395
Bruce
Staff Member

I didn’t find any area in s2 member where i can set ” failed payments “.

The number of failed payments you allow depends on the rra attribute for your Pro Form/Button Shortcode.

From the docs
(Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Pro Forms -› Shortcode Attributes (Explained)):

• rra=”2″ Reattempt failed payments? Possible values: 0 = do NOT reattempt billing when/if a recurring payment fails; 1 or higher = yes, DO reattempt billing when/if a recurring payment fails. With PayPal® Pro integration, PayPal® will retry a maximum of 2 times whenever rra=”2″; after that, a Subscription would be terminated due to Max Failed Payments having been reached. With PayPal® Pro integration, the value of this attribute also configures Max Failed Payments. So a setting of rra=”2″ means that you allow a maximum of 2 failed payments.
Posted: Tuesday May 14th, 2013 at 2:18 am #49909
LG

Hi,

Now i have set rra=”0″ , that means user will be demoted to free subscriber ( that i have set at EOT ) after payment failed first time ?

What is short code of authorize.net payment gateway for same ?

Thanks

Posted: Tuesday May 14th, 2013 at 5:03 am #49932
Ronnie
Username: Zeeflo

As far as I know, rra cant be 0 with pro forms? Atleast thats what you guys have told me, and I have to sit daily and manuallt delete members from both paypal and our site.
Its quite frankly f’ing annoying! (excuse me the language, just being honest here).
Having an RRA of 1 will tell paypal to try the payment 5 days after the payment was initially declined.
This means that these people has 5 days of totally free service, and I will never ever be able to claim my money.. Its petty.. But, you guys told me, that WHEN using pro-forms, you CANNOT have an RRA of 0. You TOLD me it must be atleast 1, and that its.. TADA.. ” A paypal thing”!!

God im so annoyed with this! In fact S2member is getting more and more annoying, but thats a whoooooole different story!

Posted: Thursday May 16th, 2013 at 4:03 am #50063
Bruce
Staff Member

I’m very sorry for the confusion.

s2Member reflects the rra attribute directly to the PayPal MAXFAILEDPAYMENTS. In the past (up until s2Member v130404 I believe), PayPal used the following description for the MAXFAILEDPAYMENTS attribute:

This is the current documentation for PayPal:

https://developer.paypal.com/webapps/developer/docs/classic/api/merchant/GetRecurringPaymentsProfileDetails_API_Operation_NVP/

If you’ll look, you’ll see that this is the description for the variable now:

Therefore you can assume that the rra attribute being set to 0, as it stands now, will follow the description provided in this section of your Dashboard:

Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Pro Forms -› Shortcode Attributes (Explained)

This is not true for PayPal Buttons. You can find information on the RRA attribute for PayPal buttons here:

Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Buttons -› Shortcode Attributes (Explained)

What is short code of authorize.net payment gateway for same ?

Authorize.Net does not have support for s2Member’s RRA attribute. This is not the same deal for Authorize.Net, as Authorize.Net only charges directly to bank accounts, so I believe they could forseeably charge a User into negative on their bank account, and that would be on the User. That’s the importance of providing Users with Cancellation Forms.

See: Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Authorize.Net® Pro Forms -› Billing Cancellation Forms

Posted: Thursday May 16th, 2013 at 12:35 pm #50078
Ronnie
Username: Zeeflo

Like you posted, but explained without references to pictures and what not:

For PayPal Pro Forms, if you set an RRA=0 it will NOT demote/delete the user if the first payment fails. It will in fact retry to get the payment indefinately every 5 days untill the payment has gone through. You HAVE to make the RRA a number between 1 and 3, depending on how many time paypal should retry to get payment, every 5 days.. Converted to plain english: Your non-eligable members can potentially have free access – indefinately, to your content if you set an RRA=0, as long as they dont have a valid creditcard on file with paypal!!

THEREFOR, you HAVE to keep an eye out for PayPal emails telling you that a payment failed, and MANUALLY delete/downgrade the member AS WELL as deleting their payment plan in your PayPal account, cause I am pretty darn sure that NO business oriented person would EVER allow 5 days of free access to their content!

And a side note to this: Its PLAIN stupid!.. A value of 0 should mean exactly that.. 0 Retries..
Whereas indefinate retries should have no integer or accept code such as “indef” or something..

Posted: Friday May 17th, 2013 at 6:23 am #50125
LG

Hi,

Bruce according to you there will be no retry on paypal after payment fails first time if i set RRA=0 and user will be demoted ( that i have set at EOT ) , please confirm..

But Ronnie have some different views regarding this

if you set an RRA=0 it will NOT demote/delete the user if the first payment fails. It will in fact retry to get the payment indefinately every 5 days untill the payment has gone through.

I am really very confused , please reply as soon as possible.

Thanks

Posted: Friday May 17th, 2013 at 11:08 am #50135
LG

What happens, in Authorize.net, if the credit card being charged is no longer valid or expired or canceled? Will Authorize.net send feedback to s2Member and tell s2Member to demote that user?

Posted: Tuesday May 21st, 2013 at 4:21 am #50258
Bruce
Staff Member

Sorry for the delay in response.

Bruce according to you there will be no retry on paypal after payment fails first time if i set RRA=0 and user will be demoted ( that i have set at EOT ) , please confirm..

I’m very sorry for the confusion. Settings RRA to 0 will allow 0 failed payments, meaning that s2Member will demote a User on the first failed payment. This is all handled by PayPal’s side of things, and was recently changed.

What happens, in Authorize.net, if the credit card being charged is no longer valid or expired or canceled? Will Authorize.net send feedback to s2Member and tell s2Member to demote that user?

Yes, with Authorize.Net s2Member will query a notice that the subscription is ended, and will demote the User.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.