latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Steps to Migrate – Still need help

Home Forums Community Forum Steps to Migrate – Still need help

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices. Last updated by  Raam Dev 4 years, 1 month ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Friday Nov 16th, 2012 at 5:01 pm #31830

Hi,

I started this topic a while ago: http://www.s2member.com/forums/topic/steps-to-migrate/

I was waiting for an answer from Jason on how to migrate the existing subscriptions to a new domain. Looks like the topic was closed without that answer ever getting posted.

Can you provide some insight.

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Friday Nov 16th, 2012 at 7:37 pm #31854
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

Hi Alissa,

It looks like that message accidentally slipped through — I’m very sorry about that. I will send Jason another message to request his advice for your scenario. Thank you very much for your patience.

Posted: Friday Nov 16th, 2012 at 7:45 pm #31857

No Problem… Finding time to do the migration has proven challenging but we are finally getting started on the redesign so this is becoming critical path. Looking forward to the answer.

Cheers

Posted: Monday Nov 19th, 2012 at 7:24 pm #32027
Bruce
Username: Bruce
Staff Member

Hi Alissa,

s2Member’s user Import/Export feature is limited by the way that WordPress handles password saving. While these limitations are not noticeable when you’re only backing up users, it can cause problems with the way you’re attempting to use it because it does not move passwords over. WordPress uses a special key that’s in your wp-config.php file. If you want to migrate users over to another site, you’ll need to move over your wp-config.php file, and edit it to work with your new SQL database, then export a copy of your WordPress users and usermeta tables from your PhpMyAdmin within your server’s control panel.

To get started, you want to download your wp-config.php file via FTP.

Edit the following lines:

define('DB_NAME', '');

/** MySQL database username */
define('DB_USER', '');

/** MySQL database password */
define('DB_PASSWORD', '');

/** MySQL hostname */
define('DB_HOST', 'localhost');

These lines should be edited to reflect your current SQL setup on your new server environment. Next, you want to export your users and usermeta table:

Keep the default exportation options, and save the downloaded file. Then, go to your new PhpMyAdmin on your new server, and click on the SQL tab at the top of the page, copy all of the data in the downloaded file and submit the SQL:

Once this is finished, your user’s Paid Registration ID and other user data will be moved over to your new environment, and you should be good-to-go.

If you run into any errors with your PhpMyAdmin giving you errors, delete the current users and usermeta tables you have in your new server environment, and then follow the importation step.
  • This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by  Bruce.
Posted: Tuesday Nov 20th, 2012 at 9:23 am #32088

Thanks Bruce. So if I start with this step I should have the users populated. And then configuring the IPN settings on Authorize.net to point to the new server should take care of modifications and deletes of user accounts? i.e. if someone has a credit card expire or cancels then they would be handled in an automated fashion via the Auth.net integration?

Also, In my previous post Cristian mentioned:

S2Member has a field called custom, with the site’s domain name, and if there’s a mismatch it’d cause trouble.

Do I need to do anything to change that?

Posted: Wednesday Nov 21st, 2012 at 1:02 am #32196

If you’re using s2Member shortcodes for buttons or pro-forms, make sure you update them with the new domain name you migrated the site to. [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Buttons -› Shortcode Attributes -> custom (Explained)[/hilite]

Also make sure that any mention of the previous domain name in the database, is updated to the new one.

And be consistent in everything with your use of www, or lack of it. Knowledge Base » Don't mix www and without

Posted: Monday Nov 26th, 2012 at 3:54 pm #32629

Ok, So here is what I’m understanding:

1. Set up new host and domain
  2. Install WordPress & S2Member
  3. Follow Bruce’s steps above on overwriting the wp-config file and moving the user tables
  4. Update wp_s2member_custom fields in usermeta table to new domain
  5. Update Auth.net with new domain info for IPN notifications
  6. Regenerate pro-forms on new site
  7. test

Is that it? What about setting up S2Member – do I need to manually configure the subscriber levels and other config items before importing users? Also – is there anything else I should be aware of on the Auth.net integration side of things?

Thanks!

Posted: Tuesday Nov 27th, 2012 at 7:08 am #32681

That sounds about right.

I’m not familiar with the Auth.Net area to update that, you should ask their support about it.

About the s2Member settings, you can export/import them from here: [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Import/Export -› s2Member® Options[/hilite]

I hope that helps. :)

Posted: Wednesday Nov 28th, 2012 at 10:02 am #32778

So I assume importing the options should happen before moving the users? So between steps 2 and 3?

Posted: Wednesday Nov 28th, 2012 at 4:07 pm #32810
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

Hi Alissa,

That’s correct. You should import the s2Member options after installing s2Member, between steps 2 and 3 above.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.